From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Scott
Sent: 02 June 2009 17:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wall-paper conservation question

Does anyone have any idea how to remove fragile and very acidic paper from plaster?  The plaster in question has already been removed from a wall and is in several moderately-sized pieces.  The paper is not actually wall-paper at all, but an Edwardian blue-print that was stuck to the wall behind a mirror for the last 100 years.  The owners would like to display the blue-print in some form.

So my question is: is it possible to part paper from plaster?  Or is it better to leave them together, in which case will it be possible to treat the paper in any way? I’m hoping that there is someone out there who has an idea, or knows someone else who might have an idea.  Or better yet some experience in the conservation of things stuck to walls!

Any suggestions will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance (and hope!)

Susan Scott
Archivist