Hello,

Yes, this is all very mysterious! (sorry I can't resist a good straight
line)

Maybe it was used as a mortar to grind something hard in.  Or it could have
been used as pot to heat something up in.

I am assuming the area in Kent was traditionally agricultural.  What sort of
crops were grown there in the past?   Knowing what type of crops were grown
in the area might suggest the need of a vessel like this for its processing.
If it was found "out in the middle of a field" it would seem the most likely
explanation is that it was associated with some sort of agricultural
activity and was simply abandoned where it was last used rather than being
hauled elsewhere to be disposed.  The object looks very heavy.

Bart