Dear Brian,

What I mentioned in passing was about using a fixed glucose load and differentiating between normal and impaired glucose tolerance by the 2-hr value in individuals with different body size.  It is not about individuals who are normal and can tolerate a very large load of glucose, nor those who are clearly diabetic, as we tend not to use OGTT for these.  Perhaps you would help me get my small head around this.

We increase the glucose load up to a weight of 42 kg.  What is so special about a body weight around (a mean of) 42 kg?  In a healthy person who is growing in height at 42 kg, or in different individuals with the same body composition but different body size (not BMI**), does the ‘rate of glucose uptake per unit body mass’ change inversely and linearly with an increase in normal body size?

For illustration, imagine we have three brothers who are genetically identical, except that they have a different number of copies of a gene that has resulted in them growing to perfectly normal adult weights of 50, 60 and 70 kg.  As with their other organs, their pancreatic islet cells have developed and grown to cope with the size of their bodies.  Apart from body size, they are phenotypically absolutely identical, have the same circulating hormone concentrations, insulin production and sensitivity for a given plasma glucose, have the same life style, and eat in proportion to their size to maintain their weights.  They are perfectly healthy.

We give them a 75-g OGTT.  Would they all have similar plasma glucose peaks?  I think it is likely that they would.  Would they have similar 2-hr glucose levels?  I think the answer would also be most probably yes.  Have they achieved this by secreting exactly the same amount of insulin per whole pancreas and by taking up exactly the same amount of glucose per unit body weight?  I think the answer would be no, as the smallest one has had to deal with more absorbed glucose per circulating volume and unit body weight.  But this is not an issue, because each has a large spare capacity for handling glucose.

Now imagine all three eat proportionately more, and lay down exactly the same amount of fat relative to their size with exactly the same body fat distribution.  They continue getting fatter at exactly the same rate relative to their size, and continue to be absolutely identical but for their size.  At any given time, would their insulin insensitivity not be exactly the same for a given plasma glucose (which is different from absolute glucose load) and for the sugar in the food that they are eating (relative to their body weights)?  Would they therefore not have a similar reduction in glucose uptake (in mole glucose per litre of plasma per unit time)?  Now if their increase in fat stores and insulin insensitivity progressed, the reserve capacity for glucose uptake and handling per unit time of which individual would be reached sooner for a given 75-g circulating load of glucose??

This is a ridiculous example and an oversimplified scenario, but my naive point is that is it unreasonable to assume that different individuals with different size (according to race for example) reaching the same 2-hr IGT threshold in a 75-g OGTT may have different degrees of impairment of glucose tolerance?  And therefore can’t we be categorising into normal and IGT different patients that have a similar glucose intolerance by using a fixed dose of glucose that for some may be slightly inappropriate for their normal size?  And since most of the patients that we assess by an OGTT are those that have had borderline fasting or random glucose levels, is it not the case that a significant number can fall near our threshold and therefore be misclassified?  Now it would be impossible to even imagine doing tiny adjustments to either the glucose load or the 2-hr threshold according height and surface area and body composition etc (by some magic formula).  So it seems to me that if we are rightly so fussed about using exactly 75 g of glucose with so many potential errors associated with giving the right dose, we should, as was my point, perhaps also consider adding this size factor to the list of things that are imperfect about the OGTT and the limitations in interpreting the 2-hr results.

I have no evidence for any of what I have said, but this is a discussion forum.  So please do comment and correct me (and tell me if I have pushed my foot deep into my mouth).

Best wishes,

Reza

** As size increases when all aspect ratios are kept absolutely identical, BMI does not remain static, and also increases but by cubic root of the increase in size.  So when the size (equaling volume and virtually equaling weight) of a kid doubles while he keeps his shape unchanged, his BMI increases by about 25%.  The BMI of our healthy 70-kg man is about 12% higher than that of his identical, but smaller, 50-kg brother.  According to dogma, the heavier healthy man with a higher BMI, which is only attributable to his variation of a normal size, should be more insulin-resistant compared with his lighter brother.

Reza Morovat

Clinical Biochemist

Oxford