From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rebecca Edwards
Sent: 30 June 2009 16:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CA-125 / whose test

Elizabeth,

Your hypothetical clinical details "CA-125 to exclude ovarian cancer. Clinical picture in keeping with it, if raised I will send for US and DGH referal" would be exactly what would worry me.  CA-125 cannot be used to exclude ovarian cancer as it is not sensitive enough. Were the GP to decide NOT to refer based on a negative result this could have life-threatening consequences for the patient.

My personal feeling is that the results should be reported, but alongside that should be a comment clarifying the uses and pitfalls of the test.

Rebecca