I presume it is occurred in vivo, as that was the condition of samples on receipt in the lab. But I don’t see how it could be compatible with life.

The repeats were also the same (totally lysed)-but the patient died soon after.

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mohammad Al-Jubouri
Sent: 15 June 2009 16:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Samples TOTALLY haemolysed

Ian,

Do you mean that this was an in vitro phenomenon and the patient's Hb, platelets, coagulation, UEs and LFTs were normal prior to this happening?

thanks

Mohammad

Thank you both,

But in these scenarios are ALL the erythrocytes destroyed (s they were in this case)?

I have only ever seen this occur when we have deliberately destroyed cells, in vitro,  by freezing the sample.

Ian