Hiya Alison,

It is interesting to put lyric poetry and art photography together since
they are both given outside status and for diametrically opposed
opinions. Not what I think but rather an already established a-priori
which is again opinion, whereby lyric poetry is too elitist and
photography too popular.

I have read academic claims, citing Deleuze, that photography is purely
optical as opposed to the haptic which is oil on canvas easel painting,
according to this claim which again repeats the too often made opinion
that painting is the privileged term in deciding what fits into the
category of art and what is thereby excluded. Aside from the obvious
that these opinions have not read Deleuze, which one would expect given
the role of citation in academic writing, lets follow this logic.

If photography is only optical, then following Deleuze's complex
feedback theory of sensation, photography is outside of sensation and as
such outside aesthetics which then places photography outside art, or at
least the theory of art such opinion may consider to be art and give art
photography this outside status.

If one were now to consider an advertising billboard for a MacDonalds
burger and french fries which contain a photographic image and a slogan,
it is known that this image works as a haptic image which when viewed
from a distance creates the desire to get close to this image and which
is easily satisfied by going to a MacDonald's store. Advertising images
now replace art which is to say this image is art and the text slogan
also comes to replace lyric poetry. The advertising concept replaces the
university and knowledge education becomes a commodity to be sold and
purchased according to the Ivy League model and as such universities are
transformed also into postmodern supermarkets all competing in the
knowledge supermarket and advertising itself is said, according to this
logic, to be absolute art without relation to the postmodernist
relativism which claims all art to be relative, advertising billboards
being the only true art and so on and so and so....

Rather a gothic image, supermarket horror, best wishes, Chris Jones.