We're not sure whether to run our VLE as http or https.

If we use https then obviously all content is encrypted and we can use
secure cookies meaning the likelihood of man-in-the-middle attacks or
session stealing are very low indeed.

However, there is a huge drawback in that if somebody embeds a You Tube
video, or flickr photo-stream or the like (which can only be accessed by
http) then MS Internet Explorer throws up scary looking warnings about the
page containing 'secure and non-secure items' causing some users to panic
and others to think that the VLE is somehow at fault.

Using http means that such messages don't appear but that session stealing
or man-in-the-middle attacks are a lot more likely.

We could allow both http and https but this doesn't stop session stealing or
man-in-the-middle attacks at all.

Basically it's a no-win situation unless you ban people from using Internet
Explorer which would be an admirable stance but which would never happen in
practice!

What approach have other institutions taken?

Adam

--
Adam Marshall:       OUCS, 13, Banbury Rd. Oxford OX2 6NN.
The upcoming new WebLearn service: http://beta.weblearn.ox.ac.uk