Thanks, Matthew!  Actually, we're using the SVC only to test for significance...not using the voxel value to correlate with anything else.  And I agree with the argument presented in the marsbar description, but to reply to the reviewers I'd prefer to cite a peer-reviewed publication that argues for the validity of using the SVC approach as opposed to ROI.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Matthew Brett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Lilly Mujica-Parodi
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> All:
>
> I need to respond to a reviewer who complains about our having used a SVC
> analysis rather than an ROI (averaged) analysis.  I've seen bits and pieces
> of responses as to the conceptual advantages of SVC as compared to ROI
> analyses, but never a comprehensive justification.  I'm thinking that surely
> one must exist, right, since SPM5 onward doesn't even support ROI analyses
> anymore?

Did you catch this?

http://marsbar.sourceforge.net/faq.html#svc

It has some small discussion of the topic.  You also may have seen the
recent Vul et al paper complaining about _plotting_  peak voxels from
SVC corrections.  The argument would be that it is valid to do small
volume correction to test significance, but you should not use the
peak t value or the plots from the peak voxel to add to your argument,
because they will now give a biased impression of the strength of your
effect.

Best,

Matthew

--