Hi Dorian,
on the Siemens scanners there are two methods for motion correction
aviable for epi BOLD one is the software postprocessing as realignment
in SPM and the second is hardware correction by changing slice position
of volume n based on the realignment parameters of volume n-2
(Prospective Acquisition Correction [PACE] ), as described by Peter and
Marko. As far as I know the parameters of the last volume are used if
you include a long enough gap between the volumes (delay in TR).

To find the dicom informations you can do:
hdr=spm_dicom_headers(spm_select); % select your dicom files

if ~isempty(strfind(hdr{1}.Private_0051_1016,'MOCO'))
	fprintf('Data are motion corrected!\n');
         for p=1:length(hdr)
		disp(hdr{p}.ImageComments)  % displays motion parameter
	end
end

To check if your sequence was ep2d_pace you can do:
id=strmatch('MrPhoenixProtocol',cellstr(char(hdr{1}.CSASeriesHeaderInfo.name)));
if ~isempty(id)
     ahead=hdr{1}.CSASeriesHeaderInfo(id).item(1).val;
     pos=strfind(ahead,'tSequenceFileName');
     [T,R]=strtok(ahead(pos:end),char(10));
     [T,R]=strtok(T);
     [T,R]=strtok(R);    % =
     [T,R]=strtok(R);    % value
     fprintf('Sequence File Name: %s\n', T);
end

 > And finally, the idea is realigment can be used in preprocessing but
 > not motion parameters in analysis? Then what do we realign for?

This are different things:
first you try to bring together your images as good as possible (realign)
then you may remove residual intensity variations caused by movement
using motion parameters in analysis (regressor of no interest)

As this residual intensity variations depends on the original
measurement process, you cannot use the parameters from the realignment
of pre-corrected data in your model.

Michael.

--
Dr. Michael Erb