Here are the quotations for next week (May 3rd to 9th):

1. “Heavens!” said Jimmy, brushing himself down. “Who’s that real man with the real head?” and we hurried after them, for they were running unsteadily, squeaking like rabbits as they ran. We overtook them in a little nut wood half a mile up the road, where they had turned aside, and were rolling. So we rolled with them, and ceased not till we had arrived at the extremity of exhaustion.

2. Then the three buried themselves in Number Five lavatory, turned on all the taps, filled the place with steam, and dropped weeping into the baths, where they pieced out the war.

‘Moi! Je! Ich! Ego!’ gasped Stalky. ‘I waited till I couldn’t hear myself think, while you played the drum! Hid in the coal-locker—and tweaked Rabbits-Eggs—and Rabbits-Eggs rocked King. Wasn’t it beautiful? Did you hear the glass?’

‘Why, he—he—he,’ shrieked M‘Turk, one trembling finger pointed at Beetle.

‘Why, I—I—I was through it all,’ Beetle howled; ‘in his study, being jawed.’

3. Framlynghame Admiral village is a good two miles from the station, and I waked the holy calm of the evening every step of that way with shouts and yells, casting myself down in the flank of the good green hedge when I was too weak to stand. There was an inn,—a blessed inn with a thatched roof, and peonies in the garden,—and I ordered myself an upper chamber in which the Foresters held their courts, for the laughter was not all out of me. A bewildered woman brought me ham and eggs, and I leaned out of the mullioned window, and laughed between mouthfuls.

The sources of this week's extracts April 26th to May 2nd) are as follows:

1.  (...'Have it as you've a mind to,' he was saying, 'but the vivers of her roots they hold the bank together...')  This is from "Hal 'o the Draft" in Puck of Pook's Hill,

2.  ( '...The brook she'd crep' up on us, an' she kep' creepin' upon us till we was workin' knee deep in the shallers,..')  This is from "Friendly Brook" in A Diversity of Creatures

3.  (...'Twas hot an' windy for weeks, an' the streets stinkin' o' dried 'orse-dung blowin' from side to side an' lyin' level with the kerb...)   This is from "The Wish House" in Debits and Credits.

In the New Readers' Guide we have just published notes by John McGivering on two more stories which have only been collected in the Sussex Edition, "The Wreck of the Visigoth", and "The Last Relief". typgether with the text of the stories.

Good May Day wishes to all

John R