Hi,

I'm interested in Free/Open Source applications for qualitative data
analysis. I noticed a very nice review of Transana in

Choosing a CAQDAS Package
A working paper by Ann Lewins & Christina Silver
5th edition July 2006

(although this pdf seems to be no longer available).

It left out the TAMS Analyzer though ( http://tamsys.sourceforge.net/ ).

I know that new versions of Transana now require payment, but being
once open source it'll always be open source (per the GPL), paying for
open source is not a bad thing in my mind, as long as the user has the
option of seeing what happens to their data.

But, Transana is not _exactly_ what I'm looking for, I'm more looking
at the aspects of coding meaning units in transcripts, and search and
management among these. TAMS is unfortunately only for OS X, no
Windows version. Does anyone have suggestions for other similar
applications that do these things?

Also, has anyone considered Semantic Mediawiki (or perhaps SMW+
http://www.ontoprise.de/index.php?id=241 ) for QACDAS? The
coding and analysis use-cases seem very similar to semantic markup
and search.

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

http://apertium.org/