I've taken to talking to the animals. They listen as though interested, the
squirrels
bright-eyed, the dogs with their heads cocked, the kitten attentive and
questioning.
The crows talk back, their husky caws, counting along with me. Cat puts her
paw
to my breast, purrs in reply. I tell them

my dreams, how the sky opens up for me, takes me in like a lost child. The
stars
step back, make room for me. I fly, untethered, unbound. I tell them all
I've lost,
besides myself. I ask: what am I supposed to do? They laugh their booming
laughter. They tell me

there is no 'supposed to', there only 'is'. There is only what I am doing
this moment,
sitting at a machine, asking it to translate my human self. The ground opens
up
for me, takes me in like a found child. I take from it that lightning, that
darkness
that explodes inside. It tells me

who I am, what I am, this standing-up animal of self. I lift my ears, I cock
my head,
I caw and growl and lift my hand to my own breast, here, my-self, in here,
some-
where. It opens up for me, takes me in like its own child. What am I
supposed to do?
Open up. Open up.