Auden, I've heard/read, used to say he was a civil engineer,
just to keep the conversation unblocked.

As to the MacNeice, E. B. White might have said, "Block
that metaphor."

Hal

"Anything is art if an artist says it is."
          --Marcel Duchamp

Halvard Johnson
http://sites.google.com/site/halvardjohnson/Home
http://entropyandme.blogspot.com