Martin Walker wrote:
> In Europe you get surtitles, Ken, so you can check on what they're supposed to be singing. I look some of the time - they help when the Regie is particularly obscure and you have never heard the opera before. I don't personally think the libretto is theory, exactly - & I've never seen anybody (in Europe) reading a libretto by flashlight, even when there were no surtitles.

No one does.  I was making a desperate effort at a comparison.  Oh
well.  We have titling here too, sub- and sur-.  But way back when if
you didn't know the basic libretto outlines, it could be a long day.
Easter Sunday 1960 I sat through *Parsifal* without knowing squat about
what was going on.  Who was on the cross again?....