http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFr2Fh66zs

this is the most impressive expression of the poetic I've seen in a long
time. not only the evocative, beautifully imagistic lyrics but the absolute,
tragic energy Brel puts into the song itself. it's absolutely magical. I
couldn't help but learn the song (and some simple chords on the guitar to go
with it, with my supermeager amateur ['amoureuse'] skills); it's wonderful
to put some emotional energy into something that poetic which is yet not
poetry as I write it. in fact, it was thanks to this little crossover into
the poetic in lyric/music that I wrote my first poem in a long while, only
the second this side of the new year. Viktor Shklovsky said that the
foremost purpose of poetic imagery is the "reinforcing of impressions"; this
is certainly what Brel succeeds at.

also, for good measure and because art & poetry need not be serious all the
time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BFOyn8K7pg&NR=1

KS