Hi all,

It was suggested to me at the IxDA list to post on this list the following:

"I am currently involved in a discussion on how research can be a part of
design.

There seems to be two different paths, Nigan Bayazit wrote: "Some of the
art, craft, and design people call what they do for art and design
“research.”...An artist’s practicing activities when creating a work of art
or a craftwork cannot be considered research.", but C Frayling from RCA
writes about how the actual design practice IS research. Just an issue
tickling my mind these days. Any input on this?"

On a different post I wrote this to complete the idea:

"Now to be a little more specific, the actual discussion at my work group is
aimed at defining research policies in our design department, within
specific research requirements/perspectives coming from university policies.
We are looking at how -design activities- are a form of research, which may
not fit a scientific point of view.

"The danger with the Bayazit approach is that it can end up being totally
theoretical. " I agree with you, and that is exactly what we´re not looking
for, or at least a group of us, we believe design practice can be understood
as research, but I guess you are right when you say "published", we
certainly need to write about it.

And yes, you are correct again when you speak about "politics in academia"
We are trying to bend the rules, we still have a designer inside! "

Policy making, validating design practice as research on a very scientific
oriented university, insights and ideas are what I´m looking for.

Thanks to Gloria for suggesting this list.

Best,

Leonardo.