Hi Don and others

IN fact, I have to say that when I tried to write a small pedagogy piece (http://www.atypon-link.com/INT/doi/abs/10.1386/adch.6.3.159_1) on fact, affect and practice using discourse analysis, the brief from the journal used the term emotion unqualified in the way Don suggests it cannot be used. When trying to address the journal brief I wasn't sure whether we were talking about people crying, stomachs churning, heart rates going up ...  or something else.  Once I'd gone down the route of fact and affect, which has some purchase in the anthropology and linguistics area, and tried to show how things like praise, information, censure and their discursive and non-discursive representations and effects are co-produced in educational (design) settings I felt on safer ground. That is, in real life emotions 'get done' to paraphrase discusrive pyschology. So moving away from poor definition and use of terms a la Don Norman's advice is the way to go ...

Dr Gavin Melles
Head, Industrial & Interior Design
Swinburne University of Technology
Office: +613 92146851