Thanks for the link, Glenn.
The practical imperative for design practice to 'get something out of' user
research is ever present, and often under appreciated by those whose
stock-in-trade is research.
Incidentally, I recall Nigel Cross wrote (in Design Studies) an
uncharacteristically ranting review of Brenda Laurel's edited book "Design
Research Methods" for stealing the title of his (and our) field of research,
and then reappropriating it to refer to the 'ordinary' practices of (user)
inquiry that are requisite to designing products and services that work for
people.
But for good or evil, "design research" is now used in practitioner circles
as a name for user studies and market research.
Cheers,
Ben