Hi Nicola,

I think we may agree more than we disagree. Of course, anyone doing
research into service design should be able to investigate any aspect
of service design, and there are many aspect of that research
(probably the most interesting parts) that have nothing to do with ROI.

I must admit, though, that I like the question of whether or not
Einstein's theory of relativity has made a positive contribution to
the universe. Is the universe a better place for Einstein's theory?
Have we had a social or cultural return on our investment in allowing
Einstein to pursue his work? I don't want to go there in this thread,
even though I can see the possibilities for some extended debate.

But returning to service design. My question was not about the value
or otherwise of service design research, my question is about the
PRACTICE of SERVICE DESIGN, and I'm quoting from people who are
championing the PRACTICE of SERVICE DESIGN.

The example I used from the ATO is based on a number of recent papers.
In particular:
John Body (2008)
Design in the Australian Taxation Office
Design Issues Volume 24, Issue 1 pp 55-67.

The claim that design has a measurable return on investment is made
explicitly in John's paper, where he gives a number of reasons for the
ATO's interest in design. The 3rd reason is:
> 3. Using design to make paying tax easier, cheaper, and more
> personalized
p56

Without going into detail about the Goods and Services tax--the tax
mentioned in the paper, the introduction of which the ATO seriously
bungled--I would suggest that what is said after that in that section
is a bureaucratic fudge which contains a sentence that Sir Humphry
Appleby would have been  proud of (sorry if the allusion to an English
TV character is obscure).
> This program has been underway for two years now, and several
> initiatives have been implemented as a result of listening to the
> community and designing an appropriate response.
I also seriously doubt that the weazle words that follows about the
ATO "Compliance Model" have anything to do with tax payer centred
design, and indeed would go some way to totally negate any such idea.

My point here is simple and involves juxtaposing what is claimed, with
the evidence in support of that claim. Claims without evidence never
to knowledge go, just as 'Prayers without thoughts never to heaven
go'. (may Shakespeare forgive me!).

I can fully agree, as you say, that:
>  I'm not sure that service designers (here I mean the people with
> the technical knowledge to organise front and back office of a
> service) can provide an answer to any question, they may be able to
> support decisions, but I'm not sure they should be accountable for
> calculating the ROI, especially when they derive from political or
> strategic considerations.

Indeed, but as you can see, the claim for ROI is not me calling those
specific designers to account, but rather me asking the ATO to provide
the evidence for a claim it makes.

As a citizen I have every right to question how the ATO uses my money.

So I think the legitimacy of my question stands.

David

blog: www.communication.org.au/dsblog
web: http://www.communication.org.au