-----Original Message-----
From: The Natural Science Collections Association discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nigel Larkin
Sent: 12 May 2009 09:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Do you have narwhal and amber specimens?.....

Dear Colleagues,

If you have a geological collection within your long list of
responsibilities,
could you please let me know if the collection contains either of the
following
types of specimen (I would like to track down all known specimens in the
UK for
research I am undertaking):

- Narwhal (Monodon monoceros, of the Odontoceti): fossil, subfossil or
ancient
(not modern), skeleton or tusk specimens.

- Amber that is known to be or suspected to be from a glacial till -
they may
have striae from glacial scratching/polishing. Such specimens were known
Alfred Savin and Clement Reid in the late 1800's and at some point they
were in
their possesion but so far none of the obvious institutions acknowledges
having
them in their collections.  I am also interested in tracking down amber
they
found in the Cromer Forest Bed of Norfolk.

Do contact me if you think you have any such specimens.

Many thanks indeed.

With very best wishes, Nigel.

This mail sent through http://www.easynetdial.co.uk