** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
Dear all,

Next Wednesday 13 May, at 3pm, Elaine Streeter will present the seminar Making Sense of Music Therapy - Can Computational Music Analysis Help?

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control, so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors.

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to attend a video recording of the seminar should be available on the above website after a few days.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Wednesday's seminar (13 May 3pm):

Title:
Making Sense of Music Therapy - Can Computational Music Analysis Help?

Speaker:
Elaine Streeter
Queen Mary University of London

Abstract:
Music therapists are keen to establish systematic evaluation methods to monitor their practice with patients who use musical improvisation to communicate. Is it possible to detect and quantify significant musical events from audio recordings of music therapy improvisations using computational analysis? Examples of music therapy will illustrate what music therapists mean by the term 'significant musical event' . Examples of computational analysis in development will be presented from a 12 month proof of concept project funded by the White Rose Health Technology Innovation Partnership.

Bio:
Elaine Streeter is a music therapist and visiting research associate at Queen Mary University of London, Centre for Digital Music. She is also a senior research fellow in music therapy at the department of music, University of York. Her early research investigated the relevance of rhythm as an organising factor in children's language development and social interaction. She has worked extensively as a music therapist with children and adults with special needs and as a training therapist. She was a senior lecturer at Roehampton Institute, Surrey University for many years, also a visiting professor at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama for 15 years where she trained music therapists and directed the arts therapies CPD programme. Her current PhD research is on developing an evaluation tool for music therapists working in evidence based health settings.

Tim Murray Browne
--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department