friends - this seems like something we should all be supporting and assisting the Scottish NHS to set some precedents...

Mark R D Johnson
Director, MSRC/CEEHD
De Montfort University
Leicester LE2 1RQ
0116 201 3906

The network members might be interested in taking part in this evaluation exercise.

Jim

Jim Robinson
Equality and Health Improvement Facilitator
Lothian University Hospitals

Office Address:
The Bungalow
Community Child Health
10 Chalmers Crescent
Edinburgh
EH9 1TS

Tel +44 (0) 131 536 0055

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Dear lead or TICS JAG member

Re ‘Health in my Language’ (healthinmylanguage.com)

Some of you may recall that at previous network meetings and at the 2006 ‘Lost in Translation’ event it was agreed that a single Scottish resource for translated health information should be developed.

What is healthinmylanguage.com?

NHS 24, Health Scotland and NES have been working in partnership to establish a resource which contains existing translated health information in ten languages including British Sign Language.  Easy Read and information in alternative formats will be captured under other work being conducted by NHS 24.  This resource can be accessed at:

 http://www.healthinmylanguage.com/home.aspx

Why are we writing to you?

At present healthinmylanguage.com has only collated existing available health information literature.  We intend to develop the resource further however before this takes place we want to seek feedback about the current resource.  NHS 24 is therefore leading evaluation of the current resource and we want you to be engaged in this evaluation.

Please find attached:

NHS 24 evaluation form which includes details about how to submit responses;

A checklist used to quality assure literature for inclusion in the resource.

Please note that feedback should be sent to [log in to unmask]

Involving you in further development of healthinmylanguage.com

We will first need to agree responsibilities around the work with initial partners before forming a working group with representatives from boards and from relevant community organisations.

It is proposed that discussions around healthinmylanguage take place at the meeting of the Lead Network and Translation, Interpreting and Communication Support Joint Action Group scheduled for August.

In the mean time please do take this opportunity to respond to the evaluation.  Please also share this with other colleagues or networks.

Many thanks

Michael Tornow

NHS Health Scotland

Elphinstone House

0141 354 2939

legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only. If you

have received this message in error or there are any problems

please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use,

disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is

strictly forbidden.