Didn't Ma.gnolia have an API, CC licensed content etc. etc? Some of the data stored there was recoverable due to being archived elsewhere but, I think, on the whole the entire datastore was lost when their servers died.
http://www.cloudave.com/link/magnolia-effect-should-we-trust-the-clouds

Not to say that APIs are bad, far from it, but they aren't a get out of jail free card in case of data loss.

Jim O'Donnell
Senior Web Developer
National Maritime Museum
Park Row