From: "Parry, R.D." <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 2:44 PM
Subject: MCG Spring Meeting - 19 May - Bath - Register Now

*** MCG Spring Meeting ***
Roman Baths and Pump Room, Bath
http://www.romanbaths.co.uk/

Register now at:
http://www.museumscomputergroup.org.uk/meetings/1-2009.shtml

Taking the cultural heritage of the city of Bath as its centre point, our
spring meeting will this year explore the challenges of using digital media
within iconic historic sites and subjects.

Led by the city’s heritage team, but with contributions from the National
Trust, Historic Royal Palaces, the Royal Shakespeare Company and the
University of Bath we will look at the ways digital media is being used
within historic buildings, in managing historic collections and in
communicating this history online.

And, as ever for our meetings, the day will offer a number of ‘databursts’
for members to update each other through 5-minute ‘mini presentations’.

The main sessions of the day will take place in Aix en Provence Room at the
Guildhall
http://www.bathvenues.co.uk/guildhall.aspx)
and will conclude with a tour and walking discussion with staff around the
Roman Baths, Museum and Pump Room.

PROGRAMME

10.00-10.30
Registration and coffee

10.30-10.45
Ross Parry (MCG Chair)
Stephen Clews (Manager of the Roman Baths & Pump Room and Heritage Services
Public Services Team Leader)
A welcome and introduction to Bath’s digital heritage offer.

10.45-11.30
Susan Fox (Collections Manager) and Helen Daniels (Collections Assistant,
Victoria Art Gallery) Roman Baths, Museum and Pump Room Heritage Services.
The collections team will share their approaches to placing collections
online, as well as using a range of interpretive media (projections, CGIs,
audio guides, touchscreens) within city’s museum and heritage sites.

11.30-11.45 Coffee

11.45-1.00
Helen Harmon (Collections Assistant, Roman Baths Museum & Pump Room) and
Katie Smith (Visitor Services Manager, Heritage Services, Bath & North East
Somerset Council) and Brian Kelly (UK Web Focus, UKOLN)
The discussion will then frankly and constructively focus upon some of the
challenges and obstacles (practical, technical, political) that confront the
Heritage Services team as they continue with their roll-out of digital
content and provision. Then, by way of a practical and supportive response
to all of the morning’s presentations, UKOLN (the Bath-based research
organisation that informs practice in the area of information systems and
web technologies) will then reflect upon the challenges described, and offer
a way of thinking about a ‘risks and opportunities framework’ for Bath and
for digital heritage more generally.

1.00-1.45 Buffet lunch (Brunswick Room, Guildhall)
http://www.bathvenues.co.uk/guildhall/brunswick_room.aspx

1.45-2.45
Databursts

2.50-4.00
Michaela Rogers (Web Marketing and Development and Manager) and Tim Powell
(Press Officer - New Audiences) Historic Royal Palaces
The HRP will share the detail and aims of their new Web 2.0 strategy, and
explain the role that online media play in the positioning and public
provision of their iconic historic sites.

John Benfield, Head of New Media, Royal Shakespeare Company.
Turning to another historical icon, this presentation will provide an
insight into how the RSC is using (and planning to us) digital media to
interpret, communicate and disseminate the heritage of Shakespeare and
Stratford-upon-Avon.

Felicity Baber and Simon Harris (National Trust)
The National Trust has always had inventories for the chattels or
collections held at its properties. In recent years the Collections
Management Project has been happening all over the country, to capture
electronic records and digital images of every item in the care of the
National Trust, working across staffed and tenanted properties. The project
is required to provide the means to determine the scope of the Collection
owned by the National Trust as a whole, and thereby manage and protect our
collection more effectively. This presentation will examine the challenges
involved with photographing and cataloguing collections in room settings,
sometimes in properties where people actually live in the rooms.

4.00-4.15 Tea

4.15-5.00
Brief tour and walking discussion around the Baths and Pump Rooms led by
Roman Baths, Museum and Pump Room staff.

5.00 End of meeting

Register now at:
http://www.museumscomputergroup.org.uk/meetings/1-2009.shtml

Dr. Ross Parry
Senior Lecturer  / Programme Director - Digital Heritage
Department of Museum Studies, University of Leicester
105 Princess Road East, Leicester, LE1 7LG, UK
t: 0116 252 3963   e: [log in to unmask]
w: http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/contactus/rossparry.html

New Masters programme (by distance learning) in 'Digital Heritage'
http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/study/digitalheritage.html