Hello there,

I'd like to ask some advice relating to an email that we have recently
received from EUObserver.com. Apparently, this site provides free access
to content for personal use. However, they seem to have reached the
conclusion that usage by staff and students at University of Birmingham
has passed some threshold and we are now deemed as professional users
and therefore are required to have a subscription.

I'm concerned about this because:

a)       we don't publicise access to this resource via the Library as
far as I can tell so we have no way of controlling institutional access

b)       they seem to know that users are coming from a bham.ac.uk
domain and can therefore track usage

c)       the subscription rates they are quoting are higher than some
proprietary resources for content that is essentially free

Has anyone else come across this from EUObserver.com? If so, what have
you done to deal with these tactics? I am concerned that since we don't
know how they are tracking our usage and who is using the resource at
our institution, we can't progress a response. Not to mention that we
don't have funding for a subscription!

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Best Wishes

Sarah