Hi,

Maarten Litmaath wrote:
> Hola Arnau,
>
>>>     https://savannah.cern.ch/patch/?2983
>>>
>>>     R3.1/SLC4/i386: GFAL 1.11.5 and lcg_util 1.7.4
>>>
>>> Those are later versions, which only have been certified for i386!
>>>
>>> The x86_64 patch is still in certification:
>>>
>>>     https://savannah.cern.ch/patch/?2984
>>>
>>> For now your safest bet would be to downgrade to the previous
>>> GFAL/lcg_util.
>>
>> Ok, but then, why is lcg_util 1.7.2 in production repo if it does not
>> work?
>
> Taking them out requires a rollback, which is a last-resort measure,

Shouldn't breakdown of a working site (as far as SAM are concerned) be a
cause for last resort measures? How for example production sites are
supposed to adhere to SLAs when they are provided production software
known to be problematic with the measurement tool(SAM) used for SLA
related calculations?

> whereas there have been very few complaints so far (downgrading the WN
> may not be a big deal on most sites).

I guess because people over the years have become naturally cautious NOT
to update no matter the rating of the update (high i think in this case)
  allowing some time for what bugs were missed to show up.

I also think that wasted effort (updating, getting burned, then
downgrading) is a big deal, there are various support overheads involved
that are beyond executing some commands, like explaining to manager "why
we got red light there" etc.

Only the "-t" option is broken,
> which is not used by everyone, and many other things were fixed.

It is used by SAM, and I would assume that whatever SAM is testing
should also be the minimum of the certification progress. If -t
shouldn't be used, then the SAM people should become aware in order to
fix it. Maybe SAM tests should be also executed on the certification
infrastructure.

Cheers,

Dimitris Zilaskos
GridAUTH Operations Centre @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece