The 'Making Christian Landscapes' project in Ireland operates on the basis of 'Historic character' and 'Previous historic character' as different stratigraphic positions for the same polygon. The project has a very complex data structure, but is characterising some small areas. There is some more information on the University College Cork website, but I don't think it is published yet.  Looking at some of my own work in urban areas - the HCTs sem to reflect land use and HCAs more character. We have mapped Listed Buildings according to 'current' and original' uses. My preference would be for creating something which is searchable, not relying on descriptions.

Hope this is some help.

Jill
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Quigley" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:45:16 PM GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
Subject: Reused buildings and HLC/EUS

This message is directed at people who have current or previous experience of Historic Landscape Characterisation or Extensive Urban Surveys.

I have recently come across a methodological issue in the compilation of the HLC which I'd be interested in others' views on. It probably is a question which particularly arises during the characterisation of 'built' landscapes, and so perhaps faces our project more than others (few characterisations deal with a more intensively urbanised landscape than the Black Country).

Essentially, the question is how to record the reuse of buildings in the HLC. The example which was put to us was the case of an c18 warehouse which is now a c20 shop using the same building. At the moment, if the shop simply stood on the site of the former warehouse it would have a HLC record as a 'shop'. But if the shop reused the warehouse building, and the building retained its former character, the site would have an HLC record of 'warehouse' and its modern use as a shop would be noted in the free text description. This approach is intended to emphasise character over land use.

However, there might be another way of recording the reuse of the building which might allow more consistent recording (and therefore querying). That is to record the site as a 'shop', and create a previous type associated with it of 'warehouse'. This emphasises land use as the defining characterisic and leaves 'character' as a more open idea.

Does anyone have any views on the advantages or disadvantages of these approaches? We esimate that 85% of our HLC polygons are defined by the buildings they contain, and at least one in every five of these are small enough to be affected by the change of use of a single building or group of associated buildings (e.g. a school). We don't always know about buildings being reused, but it would be good to apply a consistent and agreed approach when we do.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Quigley
Landscape Archaeologist
Black Country Archaeology Service
Regeneration and Environment
Wolverhampton City Council
Civic Centre, St Peter's Square
Wolverhampton
WV1 1RP

t 01902 555493 - f 555637
email: [log in to unmask]

Details of the Black Country's programme to characterise the local historic landscape can be found at: www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/hlc

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner.  If you
have received this email in error please notify us by
email to [log in to unmask] and then delete
it and any attachments accompanying it.  Please note that
Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this
message or any attachments are virus free or have not been
intercepted and amended.
Any views or opinions expressed within this email are
those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those
of Wolverhampton City Council and no contractual
arrangement is intended to arise from this communication.

Jill Hind
Senior Project Manager
Heritage Management Services
Oxford Archaeology