Science Museum vacancy - New Audience Advocate

Science Museum vacancy; New Audience Advocate

The Science Museum is currently recruiting a New Audience Advocate to support the Museum’s commitment to ensuring all exhibitions, events and websites are engaging and relevant to new audiences.

Post Title: New Audience Advocate

Job Reference for applicants to quote: NAA09-EXT

Organisation/location: Science Museum

Salary: £28844 – 38844, + £1000 RWA.

Closing date: 12-00 1st June 09

Contract: 23-month fixed-term contract.

Further details: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/about_us/jobs/New_Audience_Advocate.aspx

As one of London’s leading Museums, the Science Museum is committed to inspiring, engaging and motivating the widest possible audiences, including those who currently do not visit. Based in the Museum’s world-renowned Audience Research Unit, you will work across Museum departments to ensure that all exhibitions, events, websites and written materials are engaging and relevant to new audiences. In particular you will contribute to the development of the Museum’s Audience Development Plan, help manage its implementation and deliver training to Museum staff on meeting the needs of these audiences.

You will also conduct research and evaluation with under-represented groups. In particular you will conduct audience consultation to better understand what will attract diverse audiences to the Museum’s major forthcoming exhibition including 2 permanent galleries displaying treasures of the collection; permanent exhibitions on Climate Change and Mathematics, the redevelopment of the Museum’s Who Am I? gallery, and associated websites and programmes. You will then work with exhibition teams to implement your findings and contribute to the delivery of audience-led strands.

In addition you will act as an advisor to senior managers to ensure that business plans consider the needs of under-represented groups and that the Museum meets targets for increased attendance by these groups. You will hold a budget of £4k, influence project budgets of between £10k and £5 million, and help develop new funding bids of up to £100k to support audience development initiatives.

You will manage the work of the Disability Awareness Co-ordinator, build relationships with community groups, diversity networks, funding bodies and Museums around the world, and promote the Museum’s profile and reputation at Government and museum sector committees and conferences.

You will have substantial experience of working with a wide range of community groups – adults and children – and of developing and delivering training. You will have an advanced understanding of the issues surrounding social exclusion, including working with marginalised groups, tackling racism and community conflict, and developing sustained relationships with currently under-represented communities. You will also have a detailed understanding of Government policy, public sector initiatives and funding opportunities related to new audience initiatives. In addition to practical skills of people, project and budget management, you will be able to show evidence of empathy, sensitivity and persistence in dealing with marginalised communities.

The salary for this role is £29,844p.a. including London weighting. Generous benefits include 36 days’ annual leave and a season ticket loan. The post is offered on a 23-month fixed-term contract.

HOW TO APPLY:

Please read all the following instructions carefully.

To apply,

1) please read the job description fully and then email your CV and covering letter, explaining clearly how you meet all our stated requirements, to

Alternatively, you can send your CV and covering letter explaining clearly how you meet all our stated requirements to:  HR Assistant, ref. NAA09-EXT. Human Resources Department, The Science Museum, Exhibition Road, London, SW7 2DD

2) Please quote the reference NAA09-EXT either in your email subject header, or at the top of your covering letter.

The closing date for applications is 12-00 Monday 1 June.

Important information about the selection process and dates:

Please note that the first stage of our selection process will take place on Wednesday 10th June and you will need to be available on that date. If you are successful in this round you will be asked to attend an interview on Wednesday 17th June. Please note that you must be available on BOTH these dates as we are unable to reschedule.

If you are invited to the selection process on 10th June, we will contact you on, or shortly after, 4th June.

We regret that we can only respond to successful applicants. Strictly no agencies.

For updates on all Science Museum news and events sign up to our free e-newsletter at www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.