Dear all,

I am currently carrying out research for the Council for British
Archaeology into the nature, scale and needs of the voluntary sector in
relation to archaeological heritage. Among other things, the research
will help us to enhance our award-winning website the Community
Archaeology Forum (www.britarch.ac.uk/caf) to reflect better the needs
of current and potential users. It will also inform the development of a
planned programme of training and workshops aimed at volunteers in
archaeological heritage. More about the research project can be found
out at www.britarch.ac.uk/research/community.

To this end, I have devised a questionnaire survey, which is available
to fill in online at www.britarch.ac.uk/communitysurvey. The
questionnaire targets local groups and societies that may be engaging
with archaeological heritage in different ways, such as historical and
archaeological societies, civic groups, metal detecting clubs, and so
forth. I am interested in seeing what types of activities such groups
are involved in, as these may include what are perceived as 'typical'
activities such as excavation and geophysical survey, but also other
activities such as archival research, buildings recording and
conservation.

I have tried to contact as many relevant groups as possible, but it is
expected that there are groups that I have missed. Therefore I would be
extremely grateful if you would be willing to forward the survey link to
any groups or individuals that you think might be able to help. This
includes living history groups and 'Friends of' societies attached to
museums and heritage sites. I am also happy to post a paper version of
the survey if this is preferred, or provide it as a word document email
attachment. The deadline to respond by is 5th June.

In addition, if you are a practitioner with regular involvement with
volunteers and would like to share your experiences with me, or have any
suggestions regarding what the CBA, as a national educational charity,
might be able to do to better support the voluntary sector, please get
in touch. My email address is [log in to unmask]

Many thanks in advance

Suzie

Suzie Thomas

Community Archaeology Support Officer

Council for British Archaeology

St Mary's House

66 Bootham

York

YO30 7BZ

tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384

www.britarch.ac.uk |  www.britarch.ac.uk/caf