If you are interested, there is also a program that is part of ART to automatically detect the coordinates for the AC-PC, see http://www.nitrc.org/projects/art

Cheers
Zarrar

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Tommy Sobel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Is there a way to AC-PC align a 3D scan manually like you can in SPM2, AFNI & MIPAV? In
these programs the user places 3 (or 5) points at specific locations (at the AC, PC and a
midsaggital point) and the software does the rest to do the rotating and translating. I am
aware of FLIRT's ability to overlay a scan onto the MNI atlas with 6 dof, however many
times the anterior commissures still do not match up between the scan and the atlas, as
well as from scan to scan.

Also, in order for it to be true AC-PC (aka Talairach) alignment, the anterior commissure
must be set to point (0,0,0), and I can't imagine the FLIRT method does that (since you
never manually mark the AC as a specific point.) Along with that, the line going from the AC
to PC must be along the y-axis, and the z-axis must run midsaggitally.

Thank you!

Tommy
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute