Hi - what Mark says makes a lot of sense.

I would just add a couple of minor points:

- You should definitely make sure you're using FSL 4.1 as it has more
liberal masking than 4.0 (for these very reasons).

- Not sure what Vince is thinking as the spatial smoothing is
effectively done at the same stage in FSL and SPM, AFAIK.

- But yes, reducing the masking threshold will definitely make the
masking more liberal. Doing this is fine.

Cheers.

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)