2009/5/11 Daniel Krieger <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi;
>
> Many thanks. Just to follow up, would the following be valid:
>
> A-(BandC): 1   -1   -1
> B-(AandC): -1   1   -1
> C-(AandB):  -1  -1   1
> AandC (to determine where both show activation): 1  0  1
> AandBandC (to determine where all show activation): 1   1   1
>
> or would I need to use contrast masking to achieve this? Sorry if this is
> elementary stuff.
>
> These contrasts may not show exactly what you want.  e.g. 1 -1 -1 will show
regions where the average of B & C is significantly less than A.  1 0 1 will
show regions where responses corresponding to A & C are significantly
greater than 0.  If you want to show regions where two or three different
contrasts are jointly significant, use contrast masking.

> Daniel
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Eugene Duff <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>> The second model is appropriate here.  The tripled t-test is necessary if
>> you want to include regressors modelling another factor like the mean
>> response levels of individual subjects, which will account for the group
>> mean response level.  In your first model you are only modelling the
>> differences between conditions, with nothing modelling the overall mean.
>> Cheers,
>> Eugene
>>
>> 2009/5/11 Daniel Krieger <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> (Newbie, so I apologize in advance)
>>>
>>> So here is my scenario:
>>> Single subject, 9 total runs (3 with condition A, 3 with condition B, 3
>>> with
>>> condition C) all collected during a single visit.
>>>
>>> 1st Level Analysis on each run separately.
>>> - 1 EV: Simple 20s block design (rArArArA or rBrBrBrB or rCrCrCrC)
>>> - 1 Contrast: 1
>>>
>>> 2nd Level Analysis (here is the quandry)
>>> Should I use?
>>> Setup 1 (similar to "tripled" t-test" on website but without additional
>>> EV
>>> for removal of means)