Hi James,

FSL does obey the shell's umask but I understand that you're using
SGE and, unfortunately, it does not copy your umask. The problem is
that when sub-tasks get submitted to their remote hosts a shepherd
process is started to manage execution and it is this proc's umask
which is inherited by the running program. Unfortunately a umask of
022 is set by this process and, as far as I can tell*, it is hard-
coded into SGE and cannot be reconfigured.

I will discuss with the team here the possibilities for adding umask
overrides into FSL scripts (maybe we could control it with an
environment variable FSLSGEUMASK) but for the time being I'm afraid
you'll need to re-design your work flow to fit around this one.
Perhaps you can provide some scripts a user can run to (un)make
results group shareable? Another possibility might be switching to a
filesystem which supports ACLs - client and server OSs permitting.

* I've looked at docs and config options with no success. My original
source is this thread about umask issues on the SGE forum web site:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?
dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=11332

--
Dave Flitney, IT Manager
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain