And yet MFL exams are recorded and Sign Language exams are video taped so it could be instigated by the exam board. I'm really not sure how Cambridge ensure standards without any evidence for moderation and we have wondered at times in the past if examiners for the Speaking and Listening exams have got candidates muddled! Cambridge have assured me this cannot happen but iIm not sure how easy it is to stay alert throughout a number of exams on a hot summers day!! Not sure I could guarantee to be equally alert for all candidates, but then maybe that's why I'm not an examiner!!

Helen

From: Isabel Arnold [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sat 16/05/2009 11:09
To: Helen Cottington; [log in to unmask]
Subject: speaking and listening exams

My learners take ESOL exams with a different awarding body; the speaking and listening exams at all levels are recorded for reference when I am marking, and for Internal and External Moderation, and there are clear marking schemes.

Whilst I have not yet entered any  learners at level 1 or above,  I have listened to level 1 recordings as part of Internal Moderation and used the marking scheme.

I cannot see how quality and standards in assessing speaking and listening can be assured without recordings for moderation, let alone meaningful feedback to learners after marking. I think all speaking and listening exams should be recorded, with the number of candidates in ‘discussion’ activity at higher levels limited to 2 or possibly 3, for ease of identification at marking and especially at moderation. A video recording would be even better but that would probably be impossible for various reasons.

Taking part in the Internal Moderation of speaking and listening, where I can listen to candidates and topics at all levels assessed by my colleagues, is also very helpful for me as a tutor assessor as is the feedback I receive from them.

Isabel Arnold, WEA ESOL tutor