Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on surveillance of people with disabilities, particularly welfare recipients in US, Canada, UK or European countries. A colleague in Canada, who is a counselor and social work educator and practitioner, had mentioned that people with disabilities in Nova Scotia, Canada, who are on social assistance are watched daily by case workers (aka the state?) by using powerful video cameras trained at their open windows, curtains, backyards etc to watch their daily activities. This is to ensure that the disabled person is not living, say with a partner, or earning an income, etc.

Has this issue been explored? I have been quite appalled by this -- I am aware such human rights violations are being perpetrated, particularly post 9/11, on non-white peoples, immigrants, activists, foreigners and those viewed as the 'Other', but I wasn't aware that people with disabilities in "developed" countries are also subject to such surveillance and 24/7 monitoring.

I wonder if this is the situation all over Canada --- is this so in US, UK, Europe as well? Any leads?

Thanks in advance,

Vanmala Hiranandani

Archives and tools are located at: