Ginny,
In my view, the SLCs request for two quotations, where possible, for the non
medical helper services purchased through DSA is as much about inputs as
outcomes. In other words, it is about the intentions, resources and quality
assurance processes of the service as much as the cost per hour which
appears in the quotation.

The updated version of the SLC needs assessment template requests that
the ‘best value’ quotation is used to indicate total additional cost to the
student. Best value is not necessarily determined by cost. What is not clear
at the moment is what the value indicators are or should be, and how
comparative quotations are to be obtained or generated.

What is clear is that the SLC are applying contestable market theory to the
NMH marketplace. In theory, the mere threat of entry by competitors should
be sufficient to induce existing firms in an industry to moderate pricing and
pay some attention to quality and management issues. Of course this relies on
the incumbents recognising themselves as suppliers in a market; I agree with
your principle of asking questions about the environment – it is good basic
professional practice to establish some sense of the various ‘systems’ round
and about the workplace.

Amanda Kent
DSA needs assessor