Hi Pete,

Pete Johnston wrote:
> Yes, you're correct that the prefix name is just a convention, and
> there's no "hard-wiring" in the DCMI metadata profile.
>
> In an earlier draft there was something in the profile transform XSLT to
> allow for the DC/DCTERMS prefixes to be mapped even if they weren't
> "declared" (using rel="schema.DC" etc) but that was removed in the final
> version.
>
> The spec does currently say (in 3.1.2)
>
> "Also, the characters used for the prefix in a DC-HTML Prefixed Name are
> not significant, but communities often adopt a convention on the common
> use of a prefix to facilitate human readability."

I think that's clear enough. However, statistics done by Philip Taylow
(WhatWG) show that few authors declare their prefixes; likely because
tools do not care either. This is bad.

> But, yes, I think it would have been helpful to include an example that
> explicitly illustrated this point for the DCMI-owned namespaces, just to
> remove any potential for ambiguity.
>
> I'd be slightly reluctant to create a new version of the profile - i.e.
> issuing http://dublincore.org/documents/2009/06/nn/dc-html/ and asking
> people to refer to that profile URI in their X/HTML documents - in order
> to do this, because it isn't changing any of the "semantics", rather
> just clarifying a point of the existing spec.

Yes. The profile URI should be stable, unless incompatible changes are
made. (As a matter of fact, I didn't realize that the profile URI *is*
the specification URI until now)

> What I suggest we might do is to amend the content of the existing
> document, keeping the same URI, with an "erratum" to the current doc
> without creating a new version, to insert an additional pair of examples
> (between the current examples 5/6 & 7/8), illustrating that the prefix
> "DC" might be mapped to an example.org "namespace URI" and maybe also
> that a prefix "XYZ" might be mapped to a DCMI-owned namespace URI.

That sounds very good, if the DC publishing process allows you to do so.

> Just to clarify, this question is referring to the profile URIs used in
> the profile document itself i.e. in the document
>
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/08/04/dc-html/
>
> not in X/HTML documents citing/making use of that profile.

Indeed.

> Yes, I think you're right. The profile document itself should be citing
> both profiles, the W3C GRDDL one and the DCMI one.
>
> What I think happened is the following:
>
> The previous version of the profile doc [1] had referred to the Embedded
> RDF profile [2] and not the W3C GRDDL profile. The Embedded RDF profile
> also defined the rel="schema.XYZ" convention, so the use of that profile
> "covered" both the rel="grddl.profileTransformation" _and_ the
> rel="dc.[...]" usage.
>
> Then in preparing the final version we switched to using the W3C GRDDL
> profile, rather than the Embedded RDF profile. But that W3C GRDDL
> profile only covers the
> rel="profileTransformation"/rel="transformation", and not the other
> stuff. So essentially the use of @rel="schema.DC" and @name="DC.[...]"
> in the profile document is undefined.
>
> I think I had some doubts about whether there might be a problem with
> "recursion" - the profile doc itself referring to the profile it
> describes - but I'll run a test on a copy to see what happens. If it
> works OK, we'll add the additional profile URI. i.e. In the document
>
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/08/04/dc-html/
>
> change
>
> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">

> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/08/04/dc-html/">
>
> (assuming, as above, that we do this as an "erratum" to the current
> document).

Yes, that's what I was looking for.

Be prepared to get warnings from TIDY-based HTML validators, thouh...
(<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1264455&group_id=27659&atid=390963>).

> And again, just to emphasises, there are no new requirements for X/HTML
> instances citing the DCMI profile; this would be a change only to the
> profile document itself.
>
> Strictly speaking, I think we should probably also be citing a profile
> for the use of rel="meta", as that link type isn't defined as part of
> the X/HTML spec. Such a profile is defined here
>
> http://purl.org/net/uriprofile/
>
> So we could add that too? i.e. use
>
> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/08/04/dc-html/
> http://purl.org/net/uriprofile/">
>
> Thanks again for pointing out these two issues, Julian.

And thanks for the feedback.

In the meantime Leif Halvard Silli pointed me to a related problem: at
least some of the documents on dublincore.org use DC-HTML notation,
without specifying a @profile at all -- see, for instance
<http://www.dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/>.

BR, Julian