-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dominic Newton
Sent: 20 May 2009 16:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Given the recent e-mail about contact point =
read on

I think the problem here is that there's a misapprehension that ContactPoint
will hold vast amounts of detailed data about individuals.  It won't. All it
will old is contact details (which are already available to most of the
staff involved, albeit that they are more likely to be accurate or at least
show up discrepancies) for children and parents, and details of the
professionals involved - this is main reason behind the system.  It will not
hold case data, beyond the name of the service (and in some cases not even
that - several national partners are withholding that data as it could be
defined as sensitive personal data).
Not that i'm an apologist for the database state at all, but i do think that
there's a great deal of misunderstanding about the purpose of ContactPoint.

There does of course need to be adequate security, which is difficult
considering the numbers of users involved, and the dispersed responsibility
for this (with each agency/authority responsible for their own security)

All user commands can be found at
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs