Hi

It seems obvious that the original department was pretty lax in establishing
the conditions under which discussions with the student were held, there
would be scope to tighten up that area of staff-student interaction.

This unfortunately would preclude a fully confidential discussion with any
student forevermore. Although of course no such discussion could ever be
fully confidential if the student came out with serious enough stuff to
warrant disclosure.

I speak as someone who has occasionally had discussions with students about
their academic performance and reasons why it is not up to scratch. I've
never announced confidentiality but then I've only had discussions with
students who (I think) would assume my confidentiality. Thankfully I've
never had the kind of conversation where I would have had to disclose the
contents to the University at large or the Police. I have managed to turn
one student around spectacularly; to him eventually getting a first rather
than failing or dropping out, and as a sometimes uni lecturer I would really
be worried if all conversations with students were subject to a 'routine'
disclosure warning because I would think that would harm the potential
effectiveness of those conversations.

So I have no advice here, just ponderings.

One question that crops up in my mind is the severity of these illegal
activities - are they simple misdemeanours (e.g. all students in residences
seem to steal at least one road cone at some time),  the nature of 'might
pose a threat' (e.g. influence them to steal a road cone vs. the more
serious gun example quoted earlier). Another question is the firmness of
evidence; 'gleaned' is the word used earlier.

If things aren't too severe this student could simply be advised that a year
out is the best route - a dose of the 'real' world often does wonders. This
can be given by the 'confidential' discussant under the rubric of 'I hear
(because department B asked us about your performance) that you have applied
for dept B: Given your past performance it is likely that this application
would be refused, but I imagine that the situation could well change if you
went to work for a year and came back with good work-place references
showing that you have a new attitude to self-application.' But note no point
in compounding things, in this case the advice should reflect reality.

If on the other hand there is a real and serious (nb serious) treat to other
students, then (I am not giving legal advice, just speaking as a lay person)
presumably there is a need for police etc involvement.

I see advice from Antionette Carter has just arrived, it looks good to me.

regards
mark