From: A forum for critical and radical geographers on behalf of Tracey Skelton
Sent: Wed 20/05/2009 12:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RGS vote

Why don’t these people actually talk to academic geographers before pontificating about them?  I for one do not use ‘data already collected’ and never have. The RGS funds lots of scientific research which might be called expeditions. Certainly a colleague of mine who does aeolian research in deserts often appears to be setting off on expeditions – and her work has been very well recognised by the RGS. I see my career as far from ‘narrow ‘– as academics we have to engage with all the complexities of the real world (students, colleagues, institutional expectations and demands, funding bodies, intellectual developments and so on and so on). Many times I feel I would like to take months out and wander through the Andes, explore the glaciers or float up a very long river away from the everydayness of working life! One thing is for sure, before most of us publish anything we generally check that our data are correct!