From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of L.Warhurst
Sent: 20 May 2009 10:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Landfill Gas

Hi Kevin,

We have an infilled railway cutting (in limestone, probably fissured)
where a Waste Disposal Licence was granted to the site operators in 1977
giving permission to deposit building rubble and excavation material not
containing any combustible or putrescible material or any other waste
likely to cause a nuisance or pollution.

However, intrusive investigations carried out during the past 5 years
have revealed areas containing ash, clinker, plastic, wood, paper,
clothing and other non-inert waste. Gas monitoring has recorded
localised pockets of methane over 50% and carbon dioxide up to 20%.

Regards,

Leigh Warhurst
Environmental Protection Technician - Land
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA