Morning All

I meant to post the replies on this back in January.  Better late than
never!!

I assume you mean clr 7 annex statistics tests not clr 9

I would consider the use of bre cover systems to be appropriate with the
cieh statistics as the models haven't changed merely the guidance on
their appropriate application has changed

The next issue is will a bre cover system break all of the appropriate
pollutant linkages as a maximum cover thickness of 600mm is usually
adopted.  This is acceptable for residential without plant uptake and
commercial sites.  However if plant uptake and soil attached to plants
is a potential pathway a cover layer of less than 600mm is not
appropriate because for 2 reasons

1                    people growing their own vegetables often undertake
an activity known as double digging where they dig down 2 spade depths
(400-600mm depending on the size of the spade) this will bring
contamination to the surface

2                    the root zone of most plants is between 200 - 500
mm below the surface

this means any cover system that does not include this entire zone is
inappropriate for a residential with plant uptake or an allotment land
use

Hi Kay,
as a former CLO, i would have thought BRE would work better with
CIEH/CLAIRE as the latter should give you greater confidence in the
stats then CLR7
best regards

I don't think there is any great issue between using the new and old
stats.  I would be careful using the BRE cover calculator though.  I
have several issues with it and it doesn't take into account several
things and should only be used for simple cover systems and low
contamination.

If this is to be used in a sensitive setting such as a garden, then
human activities such as double digging etc the odd pond here and there
etc need to be considered.  For this reason I always insist on a minimum
600mm (can increase depending on what is present) with a physical break
layer at the base (assuming no mobile or leachable contamination).

I would say that's fine.

Surely its all about deriving a representative concentration- for use in
the model.

Cheers

Kay Wilcox| Contaminated Land Officer| Breckland Council

Office: 01362 656870

DDI: 01362 656334| Fax: 01362 693733

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  |
www.breckland.gov.uk <http://www.breckland.gov.uk/>

Unless expressly stated otherwise, the contents of this e-mail are confidential, represent only the views of the sender expressed only
to the intended recipient and are not intended to impose any legal
obligation upon Breckland Council.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to notify the
sender and delete the message as soon as possible.