Hi all,

I have a site that has come through the planning process where the applicant
wants to build a new property approx 100m from an infilled chalk pit.  The
applicant states the pit was infilled with inert clay material, however we have
no way of knowing this for sure.

In order to give us more weight in our argument I was just wondering if anyone
has any examples of where someone has said a pit or quarry has been infilled
with apparently inert material only for a site investigation to show that it is
giving off elevated gas concentrations?

I have a feeling there was a part IIA site from a couple of years ago where
there was a similar situation??

Many thanks

Kevin

Kevin Beer
Contaminated Land Officer
Community Protection
Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council
Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke, Hants, RG21 4AH
Tel: 01256 845520
Fax: 01256 845200
email: [log in to unmask]