I felt I should post a response to this as I wrote the original article to which Dr
Heathcote refers (attached). I do not wish to enter into a debate firing
opposing opinions backwards and forwards in the Geoscientist Journal. This has
happened in the past over differing theories about Mantle hot spots for
example. I will hence not be formerly responding to Dr Heathcote's letter

However, I will say this. Dr Heathcote's letter seems to imply that I was
suggesting that DEFRA should define SPOSH. I would like it put on the record
that I was not suggesting this. In the article I state that I neither expected or
required a definition for SPOSH. I was just pleading for some pragmatism.

Kind regards
Darren Wilcox