------------ Forwarded Message ------------
Date: 14 May 2009 19:25 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
To: "Arnold, Lindsay" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Asbestos found in garden

Lindsay, how do you know the "asbestos would have been obvious"?

I do a lot of landscape work and we often find 'stuff' in gardens that is
buried just under the surface, often under existing turf, and none of it is
obvious unless the whole site is literally scalped. If a developer has
bought a site, say a plot with an existing house on it, and has permission
to demolish the house and build a new house or houses, is he really to be
expected to scalp the entire plot just in case there's something there?
Just think how often unexploded bombs are found just inches under the
surface - potentially dangerous if disturbed, but in no way could they be
consider "obvious" otherwise they would have been removed already. And
think how common it was in the past (and nowadays) for homeowners to just
bury that sort of old rubbish in their gardens - once it's turfed over then
nobody would ever know it's there.

Unless there is some evidence that the developer knew it was already there,
or he put it there and buried it, then it would seem unreasonable to pin it
on the developer, after all, building a house on a site doesn't typically
involve complete scalping and re-turfing of the rest of the site.

Of course the problem now is that the homeowner has brought it to the
attention of the local authority. He could have phoned up an asbestos
removal firm and had it disposed of properly for not much money, and even
asked the developer to pay for it, but by going the route he has, he is now
risking his garden being declared a Part 2A site, and could end up forking
out for the whole area to be completely dug up.....when really there is no
risk unless he smashes up the asbestos and inhales the dust!

As for NHBC, their warranties cover the home. I don't believe there is any
cover for asbestos that is subsequently found buried in the garden - could
it be considered to make the home defective? I don't think so. They do
advice developers on safe removal of asbestos, but if there's no reason to
believe that the site had buried asbestos (as indicated by the planning
details) then there wouldn't be a case for advising on asbestos removal.

I'd say that unless the homeowner has strong evidence that the developer
deliberately buried asbestos, then it may well have been an earlier
occupant of the site who buried it there. In either case, If he has no
proof of the developer putting it there and burying it then I'd say the
homeowner should either take responsibility for it and get rid of it by
paying a licensed firm, or try and find out who in the past might have
buried it and deal with them. Chances of finding out who this might have
been would probably be negligible and it would probably be some old fella
who is nearing the end of his life, if he hasn't already died from old age
(or asbestosis).

Another option would be for someone from the council, to who he pays his
council tax, to visit him and bag up what he has dug out and dispose of it
properly. Job done then, nice and swiftly with no need to waste time and
money on finding someone to pass the buck on to!

Pete Millis
Rottingdean Garden and Landscape Services Ltd
Brighton

And
Centre for Environmental Research
School of Life Sciences
University of Sussex
Falmer
Brighton

--On 14 May 2009 16:35 +0100 "Arnold, Lindsay"