If there is serious doubt of a full occupancy of the ligand and it is of importance for the interpreation it can in fact be handled and even at lower resolution (we have done it 2.8 Å resolution for PDB 2C8K for example) - I'm not the referee but maybe he/she is right ;-)
You need not refine q and B at the same time, but rather just "titrate" q - i.e. refine the structure with fixed q changed in steps of 0.1 and perhaps later 0.05 -  the q that produces the most reasonable B-factor distribution (with ligand B comparable to surrounding regions) and the most clean difference map can be used.

Poul