Heng--

Two things you might want to try:

1.  Drop ratios with your current conditions and DMSO additive.  Use
different concentrations of DMSO too.

2.  Try using Hampton Crystal Screen and Crystal Screen 2 as additives.  I
generally do this by adding 5% of XS 1 & 2 to the wells.  Once I find one
of these  reagents that  improves crystal quality/diffraction, I optimize
the concentration for that.  You can do this with the Mosquito robot for
96 well format....or in the 24 well VDX trays.

Hope this helps!
annie

Annie  Hassell
Glaxo Smithkline
5 Moore Drive
RTP, NC  27709
919/483-3228
919/483-0368 (FAX)

"HanJie_HCT Tai" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "CCP4 bulletin board" <[log in to unmask]>
17-May-2009 08:27
Please respond to "HanJie_HCT Tai" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[ccp4bb] How to improve crystal which is twinning?

Hi,

I have a 22kDa protein that the floopy N & C terminus have been deleted.
It was crystallized in 35%MPD/0.1m Tris (pH 8.5)/0.2M/(NH4)2SO4 in 2 - 3
days. Previously, a few small twining crystals were grown in this
condition.

I tried Hampton Research 96-additive screen . Additives such as glycerol,
dioxane, etc didn't work well to improve/reduce twining issue.

The 0.3% DMSO is the best additive I found that can grow a single crystal
in the 1(pro)+0.8(buff)+0.2(add) drop.

However, If looking careful under microscope it may be some other crystals
growing inside that single crystal(hardly see under the microscope, but I
can see it in other drops). I conducted the x-ray diffraction experiment
for this 0.1x 0.1 mm crystal for which no cryoprotectant is required. The
highest resolution is 2A but there are a lot of smear on the diffraction
pattern.  Thus, the index procedures failed due to the crystal quality.

Do you have any brilliant ideas to improve the crystal growing condition
in my case in order to get a truly single crystal?

regards,
Heng

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.