On Wednesday 13 May 2009 10:31:50 Jacob Keller wrote:
> So what is the approximate percent contribution of the
> *temperature-dependent* b-factor at 100K, for an average crystal, or how to
> determine such?

I gave a reference for how to determine this.  But as I said, to the best
of my knowledge the experiment has never been done for a protein structure.
And even if it has been done for some small number of cases, I am leery
of extrapolating to an "average crystal".

> In other words, if I have a crystal with an avg B of 20,
> when I go from 100K to 0K, how much lower will it drop? I recall seeing
> papers exploring liquid helium temperatures, which I believe concluded that
> there was not much gain in lowering the temp, implying that the B's did not
> go down much after 100K.

I think the "not much gain" conclusion from liquid helium experiments was
with regard to radiation damage, not B factors.  Do you really care what the
ADPs are, so long as they accurately describe what is in your crystal?

	Ethan