There is really not much difference in terms of setup between hanging and
sitting drop, especially if the drops are set up on tape. Visualization is
also usually easier with hanging drops.

Bostjan

On 1/05/09 1:37 AM, "Poul Nissen" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We often find results to be very different between hanging and sitting
> drops (equilibration kinetics for one may be the explanation). Then
> there's the good thing of hanging drops that crystals rarely stick to
> the surface of the support facilitating the mounting procedure, in
> particular for fragile crystals.
> All in all we much prefer hanging drops for our membrane proteins -
> the bottle neck is not in the extra few minutes for set-up, but in the
> months it takes to produce the protein.
>
> Poul
> On 30/04/2009, at 16.45, Jacob Keller wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that a significant majority of crystallizations are
>> done in hanging- rather than sitting-drop configuration, and
>> considering the significant extra labor involved in hanging drops,
>> can only understand this preference as a historical bias. I
>> understand that sometimes one technique works and not the other, but
>> all things being equal, why is hanging drop still "hanging around?"
>> Any insights appreciated...
>>
>> Jacob Keller

>> Jacob Pearson Keller
>> Northwestern University
>> Medical Scientist Training Program
>> Dallos Laboratory
>> F. Searle 1-240
>> 2240 Campus Drive
>> Evanston IL 60208
>> lab: 847.491.2438
>> cel: 773.608.9185
>> email: [log in to unmask]

---
Bostjan Kobe
ARC Federation Fellow
Professor of Structural Biology
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences
  and Institute for Molecular Bioscience
Cooper Road
University of Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland 4072
Australia
Phone: +61 7 3365 2132
Fax: +61 7 3365 4699
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Office: Building 76 Room 452
Notice: If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please notify me, and do not
make any use of its contents. I do not waive any privilege, confidentiality
or copyright associated with it. Unless stated otherwise, this e-mail
represents only the views of the Sender and not the views of The University
of Queensland.