Ian Tickle wrote:
> Sorry I don't have instant access to Acta A here so can't comment in the
> light of the Flack & Shmueli paper.  But it seems to me that Kevin's
> point is still valid,

I think that I stated that I agree with him ?

> regardless of whether or not the anomalously
> scattering atoms have different ADPs from the average or not.  I agree
> that this would have the complicating effects described, but I don't see
> that it's necessary to invoke it as an explanation.

I don't invoke it as an explanation. I simply commented on the
(first-order) independence of Bijvoet or Friedel (anomalous) intensity
ratios with respect to atomic displacement parameters. Such Bijvoet
ratios (e.g. RMS(Delta_ano)/mean(I) or the same variant with F's)  are
widely advocated in the methodological SAD/MAD literature as estimates
for gauging the theoretical signal strength of anomalous scattering. Of
course we can debate over the relevance of such theoretical estimates
for practical purposes, but I really just wanted to point out that these
ratios are (to first order) independent of atomic displacements.

> The reason is that
> the anomalous phasing power doesn't depend on Rano = <|delta-ano|>/<I>,

I agree. R_{ano} was brought up earlier in this thread, so I just
commented on this. Personally, I also have found over the years that
R_{ano} is not a particularly useful indicator for assessing the
feasibility of SAD or MAD phasing.

I trust that the discussion of what is a good indicator would offer
enough material for another thread.

Cheers

Marc

--